Loading...

Engagement letter and fee arrangement agreement


Dear (Name):
Pursuant to my conference of (date), I have agreed to represent you in connection with (type of matter) [or] [in which we discussed (type of problem)], and we agreed to (insert appropriate details).
At this time, I want to thank you for selecting my law firm to represent you in this matter. I also wish to set forth our agreement as to payment of my fees. My fees for legal services are $(fee rate), plus any expenses that may be incurred, such as filing fees, deposition charges, copying costs, postage, and related expenses. My office will bill you approximately monthly depending upon the amount of work that was done on your file during that period of time. At this point in the case, it is difficult to estimate the amount of time and expense that will be necessary to adequately represent you in this case. However, as we discussed, I estimate the fee will be approximately $(dollar amount). I will also advise you before undertaking any procedures that will substantially increase the amount of fees. Please remember this is an estimate and may be subject to change.
You have deposited $(dollar amount) with my firm for fees and costs. My firm will hold your funds in my Lawyers’ Trust Account. I will provide you with a monthly statement of fees, costs, and expenses. After my office mails you the monthly statement, my staff will apply the funds to the fees earned, costs, and expenses incurred. You are also responsible for paying fees, costs, and expenses in excess of the funds that we hold. Should we exceed the retainer, we may bill you monthly for additional fees and expenses. Payment must be made within 30 days. We reserve the right to withdraw should these bills not be paid. Further, we may ask that additional sums be deposited in our trust account should it appear necessary to cover additional fees and expenses.
I may send you pleadings, documents, correspondence, and other information throughout the case. These copies will be your file copies. Please retain them. I will also keep the information in a file in my office, which will be my file. Please bring your copy of the file to all of our meetings so that we both have all the necessary information in front of us. When I have completed all the legal work necessary for your case, I will close my file and return original documents to you. I will then store the file for approximately (number of years) years. I will destroy the file after that period of time unless you instruct me in writing now to keep your file longer.
I have included a copy of this letter for your review, signature, and return to me in the postage-paid envelope. If any of the information in this letter is not consistent with your understanding of our agreement, please contact me before signing the letter. Otherwise, please sign the enclosed copy of this letter and return it to me.
On behalf of the firm, we are happy to represent you in this matter. If you have any questions, please contact me at your convenience.
Very truly yours,
______________________
(Your name)

I have read this letter and consent to it. Furthermore, I grant and give my informed consent after (your name) has proposed the course of conduct, has communicated adequate information, and has explained all material risks of and reasonable available alternatives to the proposed course of conduct.

__________________________________
(Client name) Date

Loading...
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

Related : Engagement letter and fee arrangement agreement